Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

I have to admit, I was absolutely the most gullible child there ever was. I was probably at least close to ten year old before I understood that Valentines Day was not for me. You see, I was born on Feb. 10 and my parents got the call that I was available for adoption on Valentine's Day. It always meant something else for us. I was born in San Antonio, so that has always been a bit of "family legend" too. My brother was the one to get me from the back pew of the church to take me to my parents. He told me that my belly button was the scar from where the Indian shot me and how he fought the Indians off at the Alamo to save me. Of course...he is my hero big brother so never thought he would color the truth a bit. The history teacher set me straight, informed that the battle of the Alamo did not take place the year I was born. Thanks to her kind directions about looking things up, and a much loved uncle that lived for history, I was however able to come back and tell the teacher about my true heritage or legacy of the ancestors that did fight there. My family is some how tied to Edward Burleson, never have proven the connection, but my dear sweet dad was a dead ringer for him. So much so that when he went to stand beside Edward's portrait at the Alamo for a photo opt it completely threw the ranger who was giving a talk. Then dad explained about the family connection and the ranger took the photo for my dad.

Okay, so you see now why Valentine's for me is not the romantic holiday that it is for others. It just got me thinking back as I was going through recipes for red velvet cake...which I always had for my birthday...while attempting to pull some new recipes off the internet. We are going out to eat in a little while and have called ahead finding out it is a two hour wait. Man, if the economy is so depressed would hate to see how the long the wait would be in good times.

Of course when I live in sunny California and it is only in the 40's with snow in the higher elevations, I find it a bit hard to take in the global warming theory as well. Can't people think on their own? Al Gore has stated his case by referencing temperatures in the ice cap from like 10,000 years ago. Come on...hello? The ability to even measure temperature didn't come along until Galileo Galilei invented the first thermometer, called a thermoscope, and it could only measure variations in water. Absolutely not measure feet deep in ice caps that weren't even know of. Why does society so easily believe what ever is feed to them by the media. Like the economy, and the new stimulus bill. It isn't going to work, will only cost the average citizen more money to navigate life with, and is being shot full of all kind of special interest requirements.

My idea of an economic package. You want me to stimulate my economy? Take that money and just give me a chunk to spend on what ever my needs are. If you take the proposed amount of the package, divide it between all legal residents of the US over the age of 21, it would come to like $400,000 each. Rounded off approximate math. I could pay off my home which would boost the banks, then I could buy a new car which would help the auto industry. I could also buy some new furniture, a few clothes, a new computer, that would all help the retailers. Would still have enough to pay for a few groceries and help out the farm, ranch and dairy industries. Who by the way have seen their lively hoods auctioned off because government would not bail them out. Guess they don't have the right lobbyist. Seems to me I remember the energy industry needing some help and government refused them, they cleaned their own acts up and are now making huge profits. Automakers should clean their own acts up, but then the union wouldn't be able to settle on who actually is authorized to push the broom. While the unions were a good thing in the past, now they are leading the economic problems. For those living in California, remember the grocery strike? Now this area can't even get a Super Walmart built. MY WORD, imagine a way for families to afford groceries and household items. It is shocking. So is the fact that a majority of citizens on government assistance would rather stay on it than to earn a living because the democratic led congresses of the past have made it financially more beneficial to live on the system than to have a little self respect and earn your own way.

Okay, am on a soap box I know, but am getting more and more disheartened with my own state as well as the nation with each stroke of pen that never stops to even consider how that signature will affect any one else. I voted for our governor, felt he would be a better one than Gray Davis. Arnold Shwartzenagger is going off the wrong end in a deep way lately. Wonder if his Hummer passes the emissions test he is proposing for the state.

Back to a better topic, menu planning, this past week went very well. There were a few little hiccups along the way though. I had planned on making roast in the middle of the week, but...found out late Tuesday night that hubby had used the roast for his award winning chili. So, I thought I would just get up early, run to the store, pick up a roast, put it on and it would be back on track. I was home sick on Monday and Tuesday, it was very hard to get up on Wednesday so was all I could do to actually get to work on Wednesday. All morning while I worked I ran through my head what I had on hand...not much as far as ready meals since I was sick all week end and got nothing done...so finally decided to pick up burgers on the way home. I know I had vowed I wouldn't, but illness causes a person to think a little differently. I was headed out the door and texted my son to see if he would be eating at home so I would know how much food to pick up. He then informed me that he was making dinner for us. Kind of a trial run for the Valentine's meal he was making for his girlfriend.


He cooked Chicken Cordon Bleu, rice pilaf and sauteed spinach. Doesn't it look good? It was good too, very good. I have never had a meal cooked for me for romantic reasons. I must have done a little something right along the way.

Okay, enough for tonight. We had a great meal at the Outback tonight. They are making some changes in their menu starting in March to make it more money friendly. While I am all for that, when there is a two and half hour wait to get a table it just doesn't seem like that kind of change is needed. But hey, just my own humble little opinion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I am just getting mine started and have been peeking around at others.

This is great!