Thursday, January 3, 2008

Go Figure

It never fails that when I manage to get things actually organized, as in menu plans in place, something comes along to shake it up. In this case, I had planned on a chicken noodle dish, using left over chicken from Mon. But, the plan changed, and in this case it was a really good thing.

My son, 18, surprised me by calling me at work and asking if he could make supper. Of course I am not about to turn that down. It was a hectic day anyway, first day back to work after having the holidays off (I really didn’t want to go) and then plans for starting back at the gym that evening as well. He did an AWESOME job making Chicken Cordon Blue, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Even made a salad with mushrooms and avocado. I am truly amazed.

I had also anticipated putting a few pounds back on over the holidays, so weighed in at the gym to see the damage. I actually lost two pounds over Christmas. YEAH ME. I am however paying for the lack of activity in my hips and legs today. But, that is okay too. My goal is to make it three times a week to the gym and watch my diet a little closer. Hopefully will loose much more weight this year.

I took my ham bone left over from New Year’s day, put it in the crock pot with some pinto beans, chopped onion, seasoning, and it has been cooking all day. I heated up the left over ham along with some cornbread when I got home, pulled out the left overs: tossed salad, fruit salad, pistachio salad, dinner is served. Okay, know this sounds a little crude, but the beans passed the 10 minute test. In other words, the quicker the gas is passed, the better the beans. The guys had it going in about 5, daughter and I about 10, but all agreed it was really good. I have a ton of clothes to put up in my room and hope to start sorting through the clutter on my sewing desk this evening. I really need to go to Walmart and pick up some cotton yarn for some potholders along with some fabric for a baby quilt, but am just going to put that off until the week end. Actually am thinking about hitting JoAnn's or Hancock's for that.

Okay, have to throw this out there. Now that the Iowa thing is over I just have to say this. What makes IOWA so special as to have all of this political clout. It is one state, one election. Are we the people supposed to mindlessly vote the exact way as the majority that bothers to vote. I don't think so. Actually, I think that there should be one election, all on the same day, and no coverage of the vote until after the entire time zones have completed the voting.

OH MY GOSH, would that be a democracy in action, actual reflection of the people's voices?

Another thing, our state has passed a law against cell phone use and texting while driving. This is really a no brainer, but considering the amount of drivers I encounter each day talking away, almost hitting me or some one else while they so, I must be the only one using a brain. Cell phones are great in case of emergency, but have really made a significant number of very rude people out there. For instance, it is rude to talk on the cell phone in the movies; hear cell phones go off in the middle of the congregational prayer; ringtones that go off while a key speaker is talking at a meeting; ringtones that have vulgar song lyrics; it is rude to go on and on about who is doing what to who and is getting drunk as a skunk while blocking the aisle of the store; it is both rude and dangerous to walk in the middle of the parking lot while on the cell phone never looking up (you are likely going to get ran over by the driver busy talking on his cell phone instead of watching); it is very rude to make me wait in the check out line while you talk about absolutely nothing of importance instead of paying out so I can get checked out as well; this also pertains to those idiots that pull up to the drive up window and talk on the cell phone instead of placing the order. It would what? Kill you to wait ten minutes to either pull up in a parking spot or just go home?

Okay, I am finished with my little rant. I only got started because with all the little headsets there are now the law abiding drivers will not quit talking while they drive, it will just be hands free. Now there will me mass amounts of drivers talking to themselves as they drive, totally oblivious to the world around them, of which they are the total center and will make sure they are the total center of their world. If you really think about it, your personal world is very small in relationship to everything else. Back to the point of my earlier observation. Does the single vote of the general population in the presidential election really make a bit of difference? Maybe, maybe not, I know I am a bit cynical. But one thing I am positive of, if you do not vote, you have no right to complain about the outcome.

With that, I am on to other things.

No comments: