Sunday, January 13, 2008

Chicken Azteca

I have been a little preoccupied with some sewing projects, so have been a little lax on getting things posted here. Have not been really following the menu plan as much as I should have. For one thing, meat has disappeared out of the freezer. When I made the plan I had several packages of chicken breast, which seem to have flown the coop. I suspect my oldest DS was out of food and out of funds so went shopping at Mom's Pantry. But that is okay. I have been still making dinner and except for milk and bread, and my personal habitual fix of cola, have been making everything from the pantry. I have to hit Sam's later today for some bread, rolls, and some cheese. Also, our schedules have just really been screwed up around here so have had the attitude of just get food on table now. I won't get started ranting about the lack of even the smallest amount of help around here from anyone in this family. I kind of blew up when I realized that two day old dishes were sitting in the sink, dishwasher is full and soap loaded but no one bothered to turn it on. Then, there is the Mt. Everest size load of clothes in the laundry room, half of which are clean just not being put up. Seems it is quicker and easier to just throw them back to the wash pile.

Okay, at any rate, here is the recipe I promised for the Chicken Azteca. It was really good. I gave my mom a Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook for Christmas. I wish I had gone to Amazon.com for it, much cheaper, but it was a last minute purchase. I mean as in 30 minutes before we opened gifts. If you haven't looked at this series of cookbooks for the slowcooker, you should. I looked through the book I gave her and jotted down a few of recipes before heading home. The Chicken Azteca is from that book. NOTE: I cut the recipe in half when I made it as it was the first time to make the recipe. Next time I will make the full portions and freeze the left overs for later weeks.

Chicken Azteca
(10-12 Servings)


2 cans black beans, drained
4 cups frozen corn kernels
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
2 cups chunky salsa (I used regular)
10 skinless, boneless chicken breast
12 oz. Fat Free cream cheese, cubed


1. Combine beans, corn, garlic, cumin, and half of salsa in the slow cooker.
2. Arrange chicken breast over top. Pour remaining salsa over top.
3. Cover. Cook on high 2-3 hours or low 4-6 hours.
4. Remove chicken and cut into bite sized pieces. Return to cooker.
5. Stir in cream cheese. Cook on high until cream cheese has melted.
6. Spoon over cooked rice. Top with cheese.

That is it. Very simple, very filling, pretty nutritious. I have one that won't eat rice or pasta, so he just loaded it in a flour tortilla and ate it.

I am not sure just what I will choose to make for the evening meal tonight, am being lazy and don't really want to even cook, but will have to. As I mentioned, have been side tracked a bit. I finally got my sewing area all cleaned up and organized and was able to compete a quilt top for a baby quilt that is a gift for a guy I work with, it is there first child, a little girl.

It turned out really cute. Still have to put the back on and quilt it, but hubby glued a piece of my sewing machine with "Gorilla Glue" (AWESOME GLUE) and am waiting for it to set good. I also got a crazy quilt block ready for a round robin exchange and crocheted a pot holder to send for another exchange I am in. So, still productive in the end.

1 comment:

Sandra :) said...

The recipe sounds delicious - I've saved it to try, and have sent the url to my sister-in-law so she can try it as well :) Congratulations on the 48 pound weight loss - thats amazing - keep up the good work!!

Sandra :)